Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Counting Calories is TOO HARD!"

It always blows my mind when friends/family make comments about how 'hard' it is to count calories.  They can't believe I track every calorie, and have been doing it since the end of November.

Even when I wasn't losing weight, just maintaining, I still counted the calories.  I think it's good to know what's going into your body.  Also, it helps keep you on track.

It's really not a hassle for me! I enter in my food for the day at the beginning of every day.  This allows me to a) plan ahead so I'm never hunched in front of the fridge saying, "What should I eat?" b) not accidentally go over in any area (sodium, sugar, etc) c) make sure I'm getting enough of the proper nutrients and d) keep on track throughout the day. 

Of course, what I enter isn't set in stone.  I may decide in the morning that for dinner I'll be having tuna, rice and vegetables.  When I get home, I may decide I'd prefer coucous, veggies and chicken.  The overall calories of those meals are similar, and I'll just switch it out.  But the primary calorie entering happens in the morning, after I've eaten breakfast and packed my lunch for work.  Bada-boom, really simple.

I did fairly well yesterday- didn't get a work-out in though because, like Sunday, my focus when I got home was organization of my house.  On the plus side- cleaning house burns calories.  Certainly beats my normal routine of coming home and sitting on the couch to watch TV until bedtime!  (Well, minus dinner prep and clean-up, of course). 

Consumed: 1591kcal (-200 nursing calories)

Burned: 325kcal
Total Deficit: 970kcal
Target Deficit: 811kcal

So, all in all, a pretty successful day!  I ate lots of veggies, drank quite a bit of water, and my daily deficit was pretty respectable.  No complaints here!

1 comment:

mjh5141 said...

Yeah, calorie counting isn't that bad now that there are so many online tools that allow you to just type in what you eat. I don't count until the evening, usually, and honestly, it's not like I sit there obsessing about it. My target caloric intake is 1750, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I go over by ~100 fairly often. I just don't worry, because I know I'm burning off a lot, too.

It is my goal, eventually, to not count, though, just because I'd like to get to a point where I can just eat and not have to think about calories because I know what to eat and what not to eat to stay within my target range.