Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Fitness Plan

So, after much reading and discussion, I’ve decided that before I start going crazy with workouts, I need to create a plan for what I hope to achieve and how I’m going to go about doing it. It makes sense after all- I really shouldn’t go off all willy-nilly and risk injuring myself. I’ve decided to set up a 12-week plan for myself- starting off slow and working my way up gradually. I’ll move to a new level every 4 weeks, gradually increasing the amount of weight I train with and the time I spend doing cardio as I go along.

I’ve learned that my Target Heart Rate Zone (THR Zone) is between 139 and 178.2 beats per minute (BPM), and that beginners should have a heart rate between 50-60% of their THR Zone. At an intermediate level, you should try for 60-70%, and from 75-85% at an advanced level. I’ve incorporated that into my fitness plan.

Taking into consideration the days when I’ll most be able to go to the gym, and the physical results I’m looking for, here’s the fitness plan I’ve built:


Weeks 1-4 THR – 139-150 BPM

Monday: Cardio- 20min, full-body strength training, stretch
Tuesday: Cardio- 20-30min, ab workout, stretch
Wenesday: Cardio- 20min, full-body strength training, stretch
Thursday: Cardio- 20-30min, ab workout, stretch
Friday: Rest or Yoga
Saturday: Cardio- 30min
Sunday: Rest or Yoga


Weeks 5-8 THR – 139-150 BPM

Monday: Cardio- 30min, Upper-body strength training, stretch
Tuesday: Cardio- 45min, ab workout, stretch
Wenesday: Cardio- 30min, lower-body strength training, stretch
Thursday: Cardio- 20min, full-body strength training, stretch
Friday: Rest or Yoga
Saturday: Cardio- 45min
Sunday: Rest or Yoga


Weeks 9-12 THR – 161.4-178.2 BPM

Monday: Cardio- 30min, Upper-body strength training stretch
Tuesday: Cardio- 45min, ab workout, stretch
Wenesday: Cardio- 30min, lower-body strength training, stretch
Thursday: Cardio- 20min, full-body strength training stretch
Friday: Rest or Yoga
Saturday: Cardio- 60min
Sunday: Rest or Yoga


Now that I know what my plan is, I’m excited to work towards it. Tonight I’ll squeeze in some cardio before I make dinner, and I’ll follow that up with some nice ab-strengthening exercises. I can’t wait to go home and work out!

No comments: