Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Resolution

I am going to get into shape.

I know, I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now, but I really mean it. I’m a female, 25 years old, 5’7” tall, and I weigh 150 pounds. Wow- I can’t believe I actually wrote that down, where anyone can see it! But yes, it’s the truth.

I am embarrassed by my body. I know that, technically speaking, I do not fall within the range of overweight. That being said, I just don’t feel good about myself. Less than four years ago, I was 125 pounds, much of it muscle. While my body was far from ‘perfect’, I was slender and I felt good about myself. I didn’t ‘work out’ regularly, per se, but I did spend a lot of time dancing, walking and moving. I worked housekeeping jobs, so I was on my feet during the day, constantly in motion. And honestly, I felt GREAT.

Then I got pregnant with my first child, and it was all downhill from there!

I managed to maintain a healthy weight throughout my pregnancy. After my son was born, I weighed about 134 pounds and I looked okay. I wasn’t exactly where I wanted to be weight-wise, but I knew that it was normal to be a little heavier after having a baby, and I was okay with that. Then I took an office job, and I’ve spent the majority of the past three years behind a desk. After working all day, I come home and take care of my son and do some household chores. Having lived such a sedentary lifestyle for so long has had a really negative impact on my body, and I gained another 20 pounds! I’d hit an all-time high (and low, in my self-esteem).

I’ve spent the past year or so now struggling with bringing my weight down. With slight modifications to my diet, I’ve lost about ten pounds- but I’m still not where I want to be. My target is to get to 130 pounds- most of it muscle. And I’m not stopping until I get there!

Earlier this week, I purchased a one-year gym membership to go with the modifications in my diet. This is my first ‘real’ gym membership, and I’m very nervous. Actually, I’m really a beginner at this whole ‘getting healthy’ thing. So read with me and watch as I turn from flabby to trim and finally start to feel sexy and healthy again!

No comments: