Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day Nine

Journal Entry #9
For the Date Of: March 18/08


Food Eaten:


Another pretty good food day. Oatmeal for breakfast, priobotic yogurt for a snack. For lunch, a lean cuisine panini. When I got home, I had leftover vegetarian spaghetti with cheese sprinkled on top, and a glass of chocolate Silk. Snacked on a couple chocolate eggs, and had some caramel kettle corn Quaker minis (they’re 50 calories for about 7 minis). Also had a banana, and two ‘Fruit to Go’ bars.


According to my FitDay tracker, I consumed about 1605 calories. 27 grams of fat (16%), 304 grams of carbs (69%) and 60 grams of protein (16%- again, could be better. I was about 5 calories over my target of 1600, but I’m not going to beat up myself over it. Once again, I definitely could have eaten more protein…. I should probably just start mixing myself up protein shakes. The problem is I HATE protein shakes… ick. But you’ve got to get it from somewhere, right?


Workouts:


Well, Tuesday nights are when I watch One Tree Hill (my favorite show) so there is no way I’m going to the gym on those nights. I’ve also noticed I haven’t been doing as much cardio as I should be. Why? I HATE Cardio! It’s no fun, it’s so boring… argh! I need to find ways to make it interesting. So I FORCED myself to do only cardio yesterday, and give my muscles a break. I went for a fifteen-minute walk during the day, at a medium pace. Then last night, I played Wii boxing for about fifteen minutes, until my heart-rate was up and I was sweating! To cool off, I played about ten minutes of tennis, then two songs on Guitar Hero.


There are conflicting reports right now about how many calories are actually burned playing the Wii. Some ‘experts’ are saying that while it’s better than an X-box, you’re not really burning more calories. The problem is, these experts didn’t measure people who were standing up, constantly moving, and exaggerating their movements while playing. When I play Wii boxing, I’m constantly ducking, bobbing, weaving… and bouncing around. I through hard, aggressive, controlled punches (not just randomly flailing my arms). In fact, after an intense Wii boxing session, I’m winded, sweating- and I can feel it all the next day in the middle of my back, my shoulders and my arms. Oh yes, it’s a workout!


There have actually been studies done on the calories burned by people doing Wii sports while using aggressive movements that make them sweat and get their heart rate up. It’s been learned that a half-hour of Wii boxing will burn about 125 calories. Tennis will burn about 92 calories in a half hour, and bowling will burn 77. While this isn’t quite as good as using a treadmill at the gym or ACTUALLY boxing, it is certainly better than what the scientists have made it out to be. Honestly, the Wii workout is whatever you make it out to be. Personally, I’m really looking forward to investing in a Wii: Fit.


Anyways, according to my FitDay tracker, I burned about 2550 calories yesterday. That was about 222 calories LESS than I needed to burn in order to reach my target deficit of 1167- which sucks. But honestly, it’s not TOO too bad, especially considering the deficit from the day before. All I have to do to repeat the same results again is not eat the Fruit to Go bars or rice cakes. Next entry will be better.

Total workout time: 40 minutes

Approx. Calorie Deficit: 945

No comments: